Re: Printing lines, shapes and pixmaps from a gnome canvas

Hi Tambet,

On Tue, 2003-01-21 at 11:18, Tambet Ingo wrote:
> >From gnome-print FAQ (from Lauris,
> http://lists.ximian.com/archives/public/gnome-print/2001-May/000632.html
>
> It would be cool to have printing interface on canvas items!
> It is not so cool at all. In model-view-controller context both
> current gnome-canvas and gnome-print-context implement single
> view.

	And ? why you need a shared controller for your printed output I don't
know ;-), also why you need Model/View to print what you see on your
canvas is somewhat opaque to me ;-)

>  Adding subview (printing interface) to existing view (canvas) is
> not very good idea.
> What would be cool is either:
> - Make generic graphic object class, that can render to different
>   views (canvas and gnome-print)

	Ok - so we re-use the canvas object; and we retro-fit a Printing
interface - good so far.

> - Make model-view based canvas, so objects are clearly distinct from
>   display (and you can have multiple views of same object)

	I really think that's a separate issue / battle. Ultimately what you
want is two WYSIWYG views of the same thing - but I see no reason why we
can't have a useful printing interface in the meantime ...

	Regards,

		Michael.