Re: Status of Gnome Print

On Mon, 2003-01-13 at 08:45, Damon Chaplin wrote:
> I think nearly all printing should be based on PangoLayout, since that
> does the character shaping and bidirectional layout that is essential to
> handle Unicode. So one idea would be to have functions to render an
> entire PangoLayout or one PangoLayoutLine from a layout.
>
> (I'm currently trying to add better quality typography features to
> Pango, things like hyphenation & justification, drop capitals, kerning,
> tracking etc. I don't know if/when they'll be added to Pango though.)

I found a few problems with Pango, though I do wish for pango
integration.  I am not sure where this should be footed, here or
gnome-devel.  Anyway, Pango doesn't support odd layouts.  There should
be a call back so that each line (or actually with each character
entered should call the call back providing the new height of the line)
can say what it's margins are.  Also, Pango seems to have the idea of
tabs as characters.  This was good in a monospaced world, but doesn't
work so well with TTF and other such fonts.

Trever
--
"In Heaven an angel is nobody in particular." -- George Bernard Shaw
(1856-1950)