Re: Familiy name in Alias and alias brokeness.

CC> Oh, I misunderstood your question. You where asking about why is_alias
CC> needed, not why aliases where needed, my mistake.

CC> is_alias is needed for a number of reasons. Imagine an app has wants to
CC> print with 2 fonts. "Sans Regular" and "Albany AMT Regular" but it
CC> happens that Sans points to Albany, in this case we only want to embed
CC> the font once, so we need to know which one is an alias.

Well, you mean having more SameFontName_XXX in PostScript is
not good?  Probably it should be fixed in generating
PostScript process.

CC> Also, I don't think the font dialog should contain the aliases in there,
CC> since the user does not have a font named "Sans" installed so it should
CC> not be an option for him to choose from.

CC> Why do you think is_alias should not exist?

Because aliases name should be shown in the font
dialog. please think of reason why they were needed. though
there are some reasons, most important thing for me is, it
can covers i18n stuff. if people once changed the printing
font (or they might like Sans rather than Monospace), they
won't revert it to the aliases name with the font dialog. of
course it can be reverted by using gconftool directly. but I
think it should be supported by the font dialog.

Regards,
--
Akira TAGOH  : tagoh gnome gr jp  / Japan GNOME Users Group
at gclab org : tagoh gnome-db org / GNOME-DB Project