Re: [gnome-print] What is cooking

On Thu, 2002-07-11 at 02:55, Biswapesh Chattopadhyay wrote:

> > Just a heads up on what has been cooking in gnome-print recently...
> >
> <snip>
>
> > Cups integration.
> >
> > Someone needs to tackle this soon. I will if nobody does. The problem is
> > that whoever does it needs to _really_ _really_ understand gnome-print,
> > gnome-print-config and libgpa. It is not a matter of adding it to the
> > dialog, we need to fetch options eventually. If nobody gets to this,
> > I'll will soon (2-3 months?).
>
> Can't we port the KDElibs CUPS stuff ? They have super CUPS integration
> (lots of print options etc.). It's LGPL/BSD I believe, so it shouldn't
> be much of a problem, unless, of course, the basic architecture is
> totally different.

The code that KDE has is no the problem, it wont help us for what we
need to do in gnome-print. The problem is linking that info with the
internal gnome-print representation, fetching the data is just a matter
of calling the CUPS library.

What would make sense is to share the code for all of the backends that
, this would abstract the printing system used. I discussed this once
with Michael Goffioul and we both agreed that sharing this code would be
a good idea. Last i heard, when we he was contacted by a GNOME developer
he didn't responded, so i assume he is busy right now. I'll mail him
again about this soon.

regards,
Chema