Re: [gnome-print] [Fwd: Desktop ain't no desktop without prettyprinting]printing]

Hi all,

It's a pity for me for missing so exciting topic about basic print
problem.

>>If we could work with all those listed as needing cooperation of in the
>> Mandatory section of this document, we may soon have the critical mass.
>> However, we need the infrastructure first.  We may want to get HP,
>> Epson, Canon, and a few others involved in making the spec.

>I do not believe, starting so will take us anywhere. We just have to
>use existing and supported technologies (i.e. gs, CUPS...) and write
>whatever glue code, frontends needed.

I don't know how many among us are able to take a look at Windows 2000 printing structure and understand their design (the good part, the bad part, and the consideration behind those design) before starting working on this project. I did, though I only have very few time for that.

Just starting from Windows, Microsoft had been able to understand the vision of modern printing system. It has been come out to be such a revolution from the point, Unix had its lpr and MSDOS has its own spooler.

Though Open Source has introduced some much up-to-date technology into Linux and its printing, the core part(engine, ie. postscript and lpr) of Linux printing is still like 20 year ago. Does everyone agree that plain old design will give us power to compete with MS and bring us to the future. I really doubt it. So is the old plain Linux OS structure design.

We need revolution here. Don't assume the fundmentals above that we are working on can scale forever. With so many new techs, we can easily design a new Linux OS and a really beautiful printing, rather than patch endlessly on a old engine. Open Source does not mean we have to stick to old framework.

Sorry for saying so much negative to Linux and its printing. But if I were a MS guy, I'd  rather Linux society staying at sort of stone era.

Have a great day

Ming