[gnome-print] Re: feature request for gnome-print

On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 06:06:42PM +0900, Akira TAGOH wrote:

> I have a request for feature.
> Now gnome-print doesn't have language information for each
> fonts. so all of people isn't necessarily to be able to
> print out with a default font, and applications may need to
> gettextize these fontname. but translator may not describe
> correct font to po files, or the users may not install the
> fonts described.
> If gnome-print provides API for getting a language specific
> font, application won't need to have some fontname
> gettextized. and those fonts should be able to change by the
> users.
>
> This feature will be needed for CJK anyway. gnome-print
> provides functions unified to applications would be better,
> I think.

I don't think this is the way to go.  IMHO having multiple font
configurations is asking for trouble.  Gnumeric has suffered alot
due to mis-installed fonts.  For gnome2 pango uses Keith Packard's
FontConfig library, and gnome-print should do the same.   Of course
we need to find someone to actually do this work,