[gnome-print] Re: feature request for gnome-print

JG> I don't think this is the way to go.  IMHO having multiple font
JG> configurations is asking for trouble.  Gnumeric has suffered alot
JG> due to mis-installed fonts.  For gnome2 pango uses Keith Packard's
JG> FontConfig library, and gnome-print should do the same.   Of course
JG> we need to find someone to actually do this work,

Yes, I know multiple font configurations issue as you
say. Actually current GNOME applications has different fonts
for display and printing, especially gtkhtml may has a font
which can't print out, because capplet is chosen XLFD.
I think Pango's font configuration is excellent, but
pangox.aliases also uses XLFD. it means new gnome-print will
has same problem, I think. do you plan to get a font from
Xft?
my purpose is default font should be able to handle most
languages as possible, if the users install the fonts
needed. and the users may uses some languages which doesn't
know well, so for this, I think gnome-print or something
else needs to point out whether it's what the font uses for
which language.

For no separate the font configuration between display and
printing, something like the library and the font server
needs to have the fonts only which can display and print
out, I think.

Regards,
--
Akira TAGOH  : tagoh@gnome.gr.jp  / Japan GNOME Users Group