No Subject

Gnome-font-install will be mostly meant as config-writing backend for
XST font installer, but until that becomes usable, installer has to
be somewhat user-runnable. In general, it is used only to write
'gnome-print.fontmap' files - other fontmap files are meant to be
installed by binary packages (datadir), sysadmin (sysconfdir) or user
(home).

In future, I imagine, that binary packages will just drop
$PACKAGENAME.fontmap file into $DATADIR/gnome/fonts. This should remove
all nightmares, if dependencies are correct.
Until that becomes true, we can still get rid of installation
nightmares with following strategy:
- binary gp packages depend on ghostscript-fonts
- binary gp packages install ghostscript-fonts.fontmap
- installer is only used to rescan/write $SYSCONFDIR/gnome/fontmap, and
  even if it fails completely,
  $DATADIR/gnome/fonts/ghostscript-fonts.fontmap will still be there.

One think, I consider, is adding test="filename" attribute to fontmap
header. So we can drop as much distro specific fontmaps into global
directory, as we want, without considering, which packages are
installed. Certain fontmap is only used, if given file exists in
filesystem.

Not extremely clean, but best that can be done at moment IMHO.
What do you think?

Best wishes,
Lauris Kaplinski