Re: [Gnome-print] no one cares about non Latin1 users?

Hello to all!

Sorry for all confusion, that has been happened with recent gnome-print
releases.
Gnome-print switched over to freetype2 from custom outdated font parsing
and rendering engine. For my disappointment, it turned out, that there
was freetype bug, that excluded some iso-8859-2 glyphs from type1
unicode maps. So this is probably the real cause of given problem - and
the only way to fix that is probably to upgrade freetype2 to version
2.0.5. IMHO downgrading gnome-print font engine does not make sense.

While it is true, that current released versions use afm/pfb mixes,
where there can be different sets of glyphs, AFAIK freetype uses
only pfb glyphmaps, and refers to afm only for things like kerning
- so it should not cause given problem.
Recent CVS version should do more meaningful aliasing, i.e. use
identical pfb/afm combination and provide only metadata (font name...).

As of font installing, I think it should be quite easy now. Have you
tried:

gnome-font-install --smart ADD_DIRECTORIES_IF_YOU_WANT

It scans predefined set of standard font directories, plus you can
add your own. This works starting from version 0.32

Best wishes,
Lauris Kaplinski