Re: [Gnome-print] Pango and gnome-print

Hello!

First, I am not sure, whether we are talking about the same thing,
or not ;-)
To have glyphlist-like entry point in gnome-print is must be
for WYSIWYG work - where you have to deal with screen-printer
(different resolutions) consistency.
Aso of convenience entry points - that by definition are not
WYSIWYG - yes, we can add pangolayout based method instead of text
based one.
It involves 2 things:
a) Gnome-print has to supply Pango with font metrics for given
   printer. I do not know, how this is handled, but certainly
   it is possible, if pango can use correct metrics for certain
   screen resolution.
b) Pango layout will be converted to glyphlists internally.
Now this theoretically can produce crap in several cases - basically
if final printer resolution is not known during printing. But as
we are talking about convenience methods here, this is not
too big problem. Serious apps have to use glyphlists anyways.

I'll outline the problem with pangolayout one more time.
In pangolayout each glyph has fixed coordinates. So it is
terribly sensitive about real output resolution - if the one
used for metrics and actual one mismatch, you will possibly get
ugly visible artefacts in text (imagine word 'lill' in small
font, where all 3 inter-glyph distances are not equal).
But very probably there are plenty of situations, where the actual
output resolution is not known during job creation. So some
reasonable default (600dpi) should be used. Glyphlists
try to push final glyph placement into further stage of
pipeline, where there is more chance, that resolution is settled.
With Pangolayout, you risk with artefact from the first stage.

Best wishes,
Lauris Kaplinski