Re: [Gnome-print] Pango and gnome-print

Lauris Kaplinski wrote at  2 Jun 2001 00:18:22 +0200:
 > On 01 Jun 2001 18:03:39 +0100, Tony Graham wrote:
 > > >From what I have read in the mail archives, I can't work out why Pango
 > > is being described as one day being used inside gnome-print as if
 > > Pango isn't being used by other programs.
 > > I'm probably splitting hairs, and it may be exactly what Lauris means,
 > > but if your application is concerned with how much goes on the page,
 > > you just want to worry about the size of the text block, not how to
 > > translate that into terms that the print system understands.  Since
 > > Pango already has multiple rendering contexts, it would be useful if
 > > gnome-print didn't add another one.
 >
 > Agreed. But we need rendering context, suitable for multi-resolution.

Pango has two: one based on FreeType 2, and one based on XFT (which is
based on FreeType).

 > But - until XRender is not ubiquitious, it will be major pain
 > to establish any screen-printer consistency here :(

I didn't say that I wanted screen-printer consistency.

If, before I print, I use Pango to work out the extents of a block of
text that I want to place on a page, and if gnome-print eventually
uses Pango to work where to place the glyphs representing that text,
why can't I cut out the second use of Pango (and/or save having to
build glyphlists) and just pass the Pango layout to gnome-print?

Regards,

Tony Graham
Tony Graham                           mailto:tony.graham@ireland.sun.com
Sun Microsystems Ireland Ltd                       Phone: +353 1 8199708
Hamilton House, East Point Business Park, Dublin 3            x(70)19708