[Gnome-print] Re: ghostscript todo

On Tue, Sep 12, 2000 at 05:33:15PM -0700, Raph Levien wrote:
> I think the jury is still out on whether Gimp Print or Omni will be the
> driver collection of choice. In either case, I'm pretty happy to defer
> to one of them instead of trying to maintain responsibility for drivers
> inside GS. As I mentioned, the drivers are of fairly low quality, and
> there's no modular architecture.

	Do either of these drver collections come anywhere *near* the
portability of Ghostscript's current drivers?  I am aware that some
(most) of the current drivers are mediocre, but I believe the
portability of Ghostscript is important to preserve.  Omni is Java,
which -- aside from the language/freedom issues -- is only portable
insofar as you have a JDK on said platoform.  I'm not at all familiar
with the range of gimp-print, though it probably at least ranges the
platforms that GIMP builds on.

Joel

--

Life's Little Instruction Book #497