[Gnome-print] Re: [printing-dev] X-print?

I speak for *MYSELF*.

On Sun, 26 Nov 2000, Christian Schaller wrote:

> Sander Vesik wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 25 Nov 2000, Christian Schaller wrote:
> >
> >> Hi OpenOffice printing hackers,
> >> I am just wondering why StarOffice aims at using xprint (whatever that
> >> is) from reading through the archive, since it seems that it will
> >

> > It is not an invention of us, if you menat that by 'whatever that is'. It
> > is an X extension and appears in any sufficently up to date X distribution.
> > It also happened to be (as I understand it) the shortest route to get some
> > kind of printing into OpenOffice.
>
> Well I figured that it wasn't a Sun thingie, but what I meant that it
> was a printing library that 'no-one' uses, at least under Linux. It
> probably was a little arrogant way to put it, sorry.

It is not a library.

> >> provide simple Postscript output only.
> >> Considering that Sun has proclaimed that OpenOffice will be made part of
> >> GNOME I am having big trouble seeing why the excelent gnome-print
> >> library isn't used instead. The advantages should be numerous.
> >>

> > I can see. Patches to make OpenOffice print using Xprint exist
> > now. Patches to do the same using anything else (as long as that else has
> > to be Open Source) don't.
>
> Well, those patches was made AFAIK by you people (Sun) and my point was
> that you should hack on something being more long term. Also as mentione

You are confused and haven't apparently read through the dev@printing
archives. The Xprint support was written for StarOffice 5.2 and the
patches that were made were made to port the Xprint support from
StarOffice 5.2 to OpenOffice.

> Maher's mail implied that GNOME-print wasn't even something he wanted.

I doubt he said that - at least I cannot find such a mail on the moment.

[snip]

> > UHHHH..... What OpenOffice is not just for unix. And this list is about
> > printing as it relates to OpenOffice. I can't see why it should be killed
> > off. Not even if OpenOffice was only for unix systems having gnome. There
> > would still be need for a place where people could ask/ talk about
> > OpenOffice related printing matters.
>
> Could be that the list is still usefull then, but I would expect
> OpenOffice to use the services provided by Windows and Mac on those
> plattforms, which kinda leaves Unix and relatives, which I would think
> would be well serviced by GNOME print.

If gnome print is available on that machine - yes. If no, there may be
people who who would want to get the printing system that particular
machine has supported in OpenOffice. Where should they go?

> So if you agreed with my that gnome-print should be the mailing-list for
> the development of a printing system for OpenOffice on Unix, then what

But I didn't.

> is left for this list is as a discussion spot for how develop an
> architecture for Open Office to integrate with the different native
> printing iterfaces. This is something I would expect already is in
> place, but I have to admitt to never having used SO/OO on anything but
> Unix, so wether you always have used the same printing soultion accross
> plattforms or not is not within my range of knowledge.

Heh.

> > Does it work on Windows? MacOSX? How portable is it to non-unix platforms
> > in general? Of course, it should be used on anything on which it was the
> > native printing system, or better than the native system.
> >

> > Except that OpenOffice needs to print on Mac and Windows aswell.
>
> As I mentioned above, I would expect OO to use whatever is available on
> those plattforms instead of bringing in its own printing system. For
> instance I am having trouble seeing windows users being happy with
> having to get special printer drivers for OO instead of using the same
> system as all other windows programs use.

And I expect OpenOffice to do the same on Unix - make use of any available
printing system the interface to which has been ported to OpenOffice.

> >> Also from the archive I saw Chema Celorio(the GNOME print maintainer)
> >> offer to help you out implementing this so the technical barrier should
> >> be easy to overcome.
> >>

> > Good.
> >
> > As soon as I have the patches (or indeed any patches working towards
> > getting to a nice printing) that are of acceptable quality I will start
> > asking people why they should not go into the next OpenOffice snapshot.
> >
> > Having as good printing as possible in OO as soon as possible is IMHO in
> > everybodies intrest.
>
> My mail was sent with the belief that SUN are paying someone to work on
> this and if so hopeing to influence those people to move their
> development in what I believe is to be a more long term solution.
> If this isn't the case, I appologise and agree with you that it is up to
> us in the GNOME community to provide you with some patches to get this
> going.

I don't have any more knowledge of what is going on printing-wise than you
can see from the (publicly acessible) mailing list archives.

> Christian
>

> BTW, you probably have a to tight anti-spam filer on this list, since
       ^^^

"We" don't have any - the site and lists are maintained by collab.net

It is possible the lists are 'subscribers only can post'.

There is no dev-print list AFAIK - there is a list dev@printing.openoffice.org

> Michael response can be found here:
>
>(http://lists.helixcode.com/archives/public/gnome-print/2000-November/000489.html)

FWIW - I am in almost total agreement with what he says in that one.

	Sander

.sigless