[Gnome-print] Re: [Printing-summit] Omni driver color enhancements

   From: "Mark VanderWiele/Austin/IBM" <markv@us.ibm.com>
   Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 16:49:07 -0500

   We are continuing to work on 6 color devices, top and end of page
   processing,  white space processing, additional device support, and
   performance enhancements.

You might want to take a look at what we've done in gimp-print for 6
color devices (be a bit careful, since gimp-print is GPL rather than
LGPL, but certainly feel free to look at how we've done it).  Our
model is that each ink can have multiple levels, and we transition
between each level as the overall level for that color ink increases.

This model has its limitations; it doesn't (in its current form)
handle overall ink levels very well (so that medium-tone regions tend
to get too much ink), and it doesn't handle the issue of different
inks having different hues or other nonlinearities.  However, overall
it works quite well for us.

--
Robert Krawitz <rlk@alum.mit.edu>      http://www.tiac.net/users/rlk/

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf@uunet.uu.net