[Gnome-print] Re: Gnome text subsystems

On Sun, 28 May 2000, Lauris Kaplinski wrote:

> Problems:
> - if text is in multiple languages, then single GnomeFont is not
> sufficent. So there should be something bigger, like GnomeFontSet
> - How to deal with attributed text?
> - How complicated text is Pango able to layout - i.e. if should it handle
> super/subscripts, possible hyphenations, multiple languages, multiple font
> sizes and attributes in single text segment?

I have implemented a solution to the putting text into a region problem:
http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~njh/phd/text-widget.html
I'm going to see how well I can fit this into Pango.  I don't handle
mixed vertical and horizontal text as nicely as one or the other, and I
need some serious interconnectedness with Pango to actually generate the
layout(because I need hyphenation rules, text size, etc.).  The code is
fast, but could be made much faster(currently it solves each step from
scratch, there is a clear path for incremental solutions here).

I am also working on an elegant solution to layout issues, but this will
take a bit more time.

Owen, when you think pango has stabilised enough, we should get together
and integrate the two codebases.

njh