Re: [Gnome-print] Re: [Gimp-print-devel] An introduction to gnome-print (fwd)

On Fri, May 19, 2000 at 07:06:17PM -0400, Miguel de Icaza wrote:
> > "Corporate" users want accounting, security, quotas, encryption, etc.
> > Sending raw print data to the printing system prevents that
> > functionality from being realized, making wider acceptance of GNOME,
> > Linux, etc. more difficult.
>
> I think you are pre-drowning on a glass of water.  Lets tackle
> problems as they arrive instead of giving up a priory because of an
> --honestly-- rather obscure setup that I can not even figure why it
> even matters.

This does matter if you design a solution that is scalable. We may
be able to come up with the perfect solution for the desktop but
in doing so burn all bridges to a system than can be used on the
desktop and a server environment.

I'm working with high volume printing systems now for ten years
and believe me, these things are important.

We tan tackle implementation problems as they arrive, but design
decisions should be made way upfront in the process. We want a
solution that in theory should scale from a entry level ink-jet
to a high volume printer to an imagesetter.

Karl Heinz

--
Karl Heinz Kremer                                      khk@khk.net
                                                http://www.khk.net