Re: [Gnome-print] Re: [Gimp-print-devel] An introduction to gnome-print (fwd)

   From: Miguel de Icaza <miguel@helixcode.com>
   Date: 19 May 2000 19:06:17 -0400

   > Well, I wish you good luck, then.  However, please accept my
   > advice (from developing PCL drivers for 12 years) that any driver
   > you are likely to develop will not handle all printers or provide
   > optimal output.

   I was already expecting that.  From previous advise from Theo de Raadt
   on a similar but different topic.

Both Mike and Theo have substantial experience in their areas of
expertise, and shouldn't be dismissed out of hand.

   > "Corporate" users want accounting, security, quotas, encryption, etc.
   > Sending raw print data to the printing system prevents that
   > functionality from being realized, making wider acceptance of GNOME,
   > Linux, etc. more difficult.

   I think you are pre-drowning on a glass of water.  Lets tackle
   problems as they arrive instead of giving up a priory because of an
   --honestly-- rather obscure setup that I can not even figure why it
   even matters.

That's exactly his point -- those problems HAVE arrived, and they
exist in the here and now, and he's actually been tackling them.

--
Robert Krawitz <rlk@alum.mit.edu>      http://www.tiac.net/users/rlk/

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf@uunet.uu.net
Project lead for The Gimp Print --  http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net