Re: [Gnome-print] Re: PS Obsession????

On Wed, 7 Jun 2000, Michael Sweet wrote:

> > OK, but we're wasting a lot of time and words talking about just
> > the 10% of the printers ....
>
> No, the number of PS printers is much higher.  Almost all laser
> printers that are sold today provide PostScript emulation (if not
> standard, as an option).

Maybe in US. In Estonia, HP 1100 has about 50% market share, then come
various cheap Kyoceras, Epsons, HP2100 w.o. PS and others. All PS
printers together count for < 5% market share.
The reason is obvious - unfair pricing of PS printers.

> However, that isn't the point.  The point is "do we want a GNOME-
> only printing solution or a general UNIX/Linux printing solution".
>
> I think we want the latter.  If GNOME can contribute new printing
> technologies that benefit all applications (and I think it CAN),
> then all the better.  However, PostScript is still the defacto
> standard for printing under UNIX, and will likely remain so for
> quite some time.  Why not develop printing software that will work
> with *both* GNOME *and* legacy UNIX apps?

What probably is needed, is new and improved, forth extesible imaging
API, so traditional PS can be implemented as plugin library.

Lauris