Re: [Gnome-print] Re: [Gimp-print-devel] An introduction to gnome-print (fwd)

Ben Woodard wrote:
> Very simple. In the LPD setup that I have been working on you can
> insert arbitrary filters into the processing path. That is what I
> took pstops and turned it into ppdfilt for. I stick it in the filter
> path just before something is sent to the printer and voila I have
> PPD support. I figure I can get ppdfilt or another program to do the
> same sort of thing without much trouble for binary non-PS files.
> Then I just stick it in the filter chain after gs and viola limited
> PPD support for non-PS printers.

Again - why bother with this?  You can make a *real* PPD file that
sets the options supported by the GS drivers, use pstops/ppdfilt to
*insert the options for the driver*, and then pass the filtered file
to GS.  Then GS will produce a printer-specific output stream that
can be sent to a printer.

Depending on the printer driver, you may get all of the functionality
you need; if not, it is *easy* to add new options to drivers (see
the CUPS GS driver for how easy it is)

Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  mike@easysw.com