Re: [Gnome-print] Re: [Gimp-print-devel] An introduction to gnome-print (fwd)

Lauris Kaplinski wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Jun 2000, Michael Sweet wrote:
>
> > Miguel de Icaza wrote:
> > > Hence, reinventing a little piece of Postscript every time.
> >
> > Actually, it sounds like you've already done that!
>
> But we reinvent it in library. According to your approach, every app
> should reimplement it separately.

Nooo, I think every app should use a common intermediate format
(e.g. like a metafile format) that the printing system can process
and convert as needed for the printer.  Currently that format is
PostScript, but generating PostScript output doesn't require writing
a PS interpreter or anything as complex as GNOME-print.

> Prediction:
> Consumer-level holographic printers would be out before 2005
> As Y2K showed, software usually lasts longer.

Yes, which is a reason why we need to do things right, now.

FWIW, even if holographic printers come out in 5 years (something I
doubt, since there are no general purpose holographic printers I
know of even for professional use), they will require 3D data,
something that is not provided by general-purpose applications.

Also, a good printing system design (like CUPS) allows for new
formats, protocols, etc., which would allow you to develop an
application that produced "holorama" format metafiles that are
filtered for your particular holographic printer.

Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  mike@easysw.com