Re: [Gnome-print] Re: [Gimp-print-devel] An introduction to gnome-print (fwd)

   Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2000 16:54:27 -0400
   From: Michael Sweet <mike@easysw.com>

   > I guess "resource management" is another new topic that I do not
   > understand.  I wonder what resource you are managing here, and "etc"
   > really does not cut it as a complain.

   Let's see:

You omitted

7) Spooler capacity/network bandwidth.  Raster files can easily exceed
   50 MB/page.  A single 100 page print job can consume 5 GB of disk
   space, and if the printer is remote, require almost 10 minutes on a
   100 Mb Ethernet just to transfer.

Miguel, the problem here is that you're thinking ONLY of the desktop.
You cannot design a printing system without taking into account the
entire support infrastructure required.  The needs of the home user
and the needs of the IT department are entirely different in this
regard.

--
Robert Krawitz <rlk@alum.mit.edu>      http://www.tiac.net/users/rlk/

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf@uunet.uu.net