[Gnome-print] Print Status an Queues

I'm looking through the latest gnome-print CVS, and the
gnome_print_get_status always returns GNOME_PRINTER_INACTIVE.

I REALLY need printer status and printer queue information, and since it
seems I might need to implement it, I was wondering if anyone had idas
on the ideal way in which to do it.  A wrapper for lpq/lprm/lpc would be
possible, but rather unclean, and would sort-of skip the whole point of
having gnome-print...

I'm finding decent documentation hard to come by, so I'm in need of some
information on how gnome-print interacts with the printer.  I'm using an
SMB printer (a Windows machine) and even the standard lp* tools don't
work very well, although I'm capable of printing.  Its just the status
and queue that doesn't work overly well....

Sean Middleditch