[Gnome-print] sysAPS

Hi

I’m a member of the team at Corel currently working on the sysAPS
library.  For those of you unfamiliar with sysAPS or those that did not
attend the recent Linux Print Summit, sysAPS is an open source printing
API that is currently being used by Corel Linux applications.  I hope to
open some discussion regarding APS and where it should be headed in the
near future.

The main goal in developing APS was the need for a printing framework at
the application level that would provide developers with printing
features while hiding the differences between the different print
spoolers and other underlying programs being used.  In fact, APS was
built as flexible as possible in order to make use of  the different
existing spoolers that may be developed in the future.

After the recent Linux printing summit, we can all agree that the need
for such an API is necessary.  Our goal is not however to promote APS as
THE solution but rather to work with the Linux community in order to
come up with a printing solution that all developers can use
effectively.  For this reason, we encourage discussion on APS or a
possible alternative so as to increase communication between developers
concerned with Linux printing.  The important thing here is to come up
with a solution that will benefit us all.

In itself, APS is by no means a complete work.  Much effort is being
made in many areas to improve it.  In keeping the Linux community in
mind, we’ve made APS as extensible as possible so that it can easily be
made to coexist with other solutions that may be under development.  We
welcome any suggestions/comments regarding the API, as well as any
contributions to it.  Further information about the project or how to
contribute to it can be found at
http://opensource.corel.com/printlib.html.

Please don’t hesitate to bring any questions to my attention.  I will do
my best to answer them, or forward them to the attention of our project
leader.

Regards,
Martino Freda