Re: [gpm] Using Webcam to auto-set the screen brightness

On 25 May 2011 14:45, Gendre Sebastien <korbe romandie com> wrote:
> On my laptop, I haven't a light sensor but a webcam, so I'm interested
> to use my webcam to auto-set the brightness of my screen.
> Any plan for this features in gnome-power-manager?

We tried this quite a few years ago. Three problems:

1) turning on the webcam makes a red light turn on every few seconds,
which is distracting as hell
2) we kept blocking the webcam to be used by other applications
3) using the webcam used significant amounts of power, the very thing
we're trying to save

Richard