Re: [gpm] Sorry new to the list and can't find it in the archives.....does GPM detect processor load before initiating?

On 05/10/2010 07:08 PM, Another Sillyname wrote:
I have GPM working on a couple of machines however as far as I can
tell there's no way for GPM to detect processor load before it decides
to put the machines to sleep.

The machines in question will be running batch jobs that can take
between 30 minutes and 4-5 hours to complete, the jobs are 'sent' to
them from a server and when they've finished them they can go back to
sleep till given the next job.  When the jobs are running they put the
cores up to about 75% processor load.
AFAIK gpm does not consider system load, however in such specific setup you have, I would personally avoid gpm at all.

It seems that you could just suspend from within your batch process, then use WOL to wake them up again before a new batch is sent. I don't see how gpm is going to help you in your case whatsoever. You can just initiate a suspend to RAM from a script like the following example

# echo -n "mem" > /sys/power/state

--
Iván Stepaniuk
Alba Fotónica S. L.