[gpm] suspend/hibernate in debian lenny with custom scripts?

Hello, I'm trying to make my laptop (Dell Precision M65) suspend and hibernate
in gnome. I'm on debian-lenny 2.6.26-1-686 and gnome 2.22.3

The problem is that I can't make gnome to use s2ram/s2disk commands
automatically. I can suspend and hibernate from a terminal but I can't do it
through gnome applets or the shutdown button (when it asks you if you want to
suspend,hibernate,reboot,cancel or shutdown).

I' ve read that tweaking the scripts in /usr/lib/hal/scripts/linux could do
the trick, but it doesn't work. I've changed hal-system-power-suspend-linux
to use a custom script using s2ram but it simply ignores it.

The only thing I can get is a gnome-screensaver-lockup and a nice popup error
message. I think the scripts in /usr/lib/hal/scripts/linux are not being used
because I removed them and put my custom scripts and they don't invoke a
screen lock-up, so that make me thinks that they are not being called from
g-power-manager. I can run my scripts perfectly from the console.

I remember having done this before in other installations of lenny/etch and
being able to suspend/hibernate but now it is imposible. Is it that
gnome-power-manager doesn't uses hal-scripts anymore?

Any ideas?

Moisés

PD: excuses for my English...