[gpm] Reboot instead of resume from suspend

Hello,

I have installed Gentoo on an iMac core2 (2006). My version of hal is
5.10, gnome-power-manager 20.2. The computer suspends to ram correctly,
but then pressing the power button causes a reboot instead of a simple
resume. As this works correctly in other distributions, I think it's a
simple mismatch between the button press and the triggered action. As I
understand it, acpid etc. are irrelevant (I dont'have acpid running),
and everything hapens between hal and gnome-power-manager. I tried using
gconf-editor to change settings at the gnome level, but there seems to
be no relevant string. I am now stuck trying to work at the hal level; I
tried examining
/usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-power-mgmt-policy.fdi,
but I am not sure i am doing the right thing. Any help would be
appreciated,

Thank You

Ludovico Fischer