Re: [gpm] What is the default cpu governor if user is logged on

On Mi 12. Mär - 00:06:51, Jeff Cai wrote:
> Hi
> You know that gnome-power-manager is per-user session which means that
> only the user is logged into gnome, then gnome-power-manager can work.
> The user can set CPU governor in gnome-power-preferences. Then the
> configuration will be stored into user's gconf file which can be applied
> to the system immediately. But my question is that if no user is logged
> in to desktop, what is the CPU governor currently? Who will control the
> governor?

Basically, it's what the kernel has defined as the default governor:

  CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_{ONDEMAND,PERFORMANCE,etc...}

However, you could overwrite the governor in an init script or the
like. In openSUSE, we use the powersave daemon for that job. Whenever
there is no desktop power manager such as gnome-power-manager or
kpowersave, the powersave daemon cares about such tasks.

> If two users log into the desktop one by one, and they have different
> CPU governor settings, this means the cpu governor will be changed by
> gpm due to the logging of the two users without knowing by the users?

Only the one whose session is active can set the governor.

Regards,
	Holger