Re: [gpm] Changing Backlight

On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 23:23 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 14:41 -0700, Ted Gould wrote:
> > Here is an update of the patch.  It was needlessly using the AC GConf
> > key which caused problems for some people who had previous values.  It
> > also had a cut-and-paste error where it was using on_ac for idle
> > evaluation.
>
> I think I've done something like that in SVN, could you checkout head
> and tell me what you think? I've simplified the brightness stuff
> massively.

I like the way that you split the XRandR stuff and HAL stuff into it's
own subclasses, I think that'll help to support a lot more cards --
which is exciting.

But, I do disagree with the changes to the brightness logic.  I think
that it still works on the assumption that the user always want to go
back to the point where the brightness was.  I don't think that's the
common case.  For me, a common use case is that I'll take my laptop and
do some work; and let's say that it's gotten dark while I was working.
While the sun was setting I was gradually lowering my laptop LCD
brightness to match the darkening sky.  When I go plug my laptop back in
I don't want to go back to where I was before I started my journey,
brighter yes, but probably not the same value.

On a more practical level I don't think (and I may have read this wrong)
take into account "dual changes."  For instance if you unplug the AC and
then go idle, and the plug back in the AC and then move the mouse.  I'm
not quite sure that through that round trip you'd get the expected
result.

Lastly, on a very practical level, I think that scale can get reset to
1.0 after being set by battery but action is disabled on idle.

		--Ted