Re: [gpm] New preferences UI

On Tue, 2007-01-02 at 11:28 -0500, Peter Jones wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-12-18 at 21:12 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> [...]
> > and I've noticed conservative and
> > ondemand take quite a while to "ramp up" when the cpu load goes up.
>
> AFAIK, the only reason to choose between ondemand and conservative are
> which cpu you have, and it's not a "some users of cpu X might like
> conservative better" sort of choice -- it should essentially be
> hardcoded.

Sure. So by default we do ondemand, except when only conservative is
available when we do that.

> I think davej is planning on fixing ondemand to work correctly for the
> CPUs where conservative is preferred (the only real difference is a time
> threshold that has to be passed before switching), but Dave's a pretty
> busy guy...

When that happens, we can rip conservative out of the kernel completely,
right?

> > Some people might also not want the computer to scale at all.
>
> Is this really the case, or is that just what they say when we do a poor
> (or just plain _incorrect_) job of scaling?

Yes, probably. I'll forward the bugzillas onto you ;-)

> > Maybe these are all just excuses - maybe we should just say
> > "ondemand" (or conservative if available) for battery power, and
> > "performance" on AC.
>
> This isn't the right idea either.  "performance on AC" means my battery
> doesn't get charged in a reasonable amount of time.  It also means my
> desktop machine takes significantly more power than necessary while I'm
> at lunch.

Sure, agree.

> "performance" is really always a terrible choice, AFAICS.

I've disabled the option from the UI. Distros can patch the source if
the majority want the UI (Gentoo) or keep the default (Fedora).

Richard