[gpm] Brightness Applet - "Cannot get laptop panel brightness"

The message "Cannot get laptop panel brightness" is displayed as the
applet's hover message on my Fujitsu P1510D tablet running Ubuntu
7.04.

Brightness can be adjusted on this machine manually using a line
similar to this:
root MiniMe:~# echo 3 > /proc/acpi/video/GFX0/LCD/brightness

With 1 through 8 valid possible values.

I've tried sending a message directly to hal as indicated on the
website, but an error is recieved:
root MiniMe:~# dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.freedesktop.Hal \
/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/acpi_lcd \
org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.LaptopPanel.SetBrightness \
int32:2
Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: Method "SetBrightness"
with signature "i" on interface
"org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.LaptopPanel" doesn't exist

So, my question is... Where should I file bugs?
- HAL
- gnome-power-manager general
- the brightness applet
- all of the above?

Thanks in general for gnome-power-manager; it's good stuff.
--
Paul M Edwards