Re: [gpm] FC5 troubles: how do acpi, pm-utils, and gnome-power-manager fit together?

On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 14:23 -0500, Paul Johnson wrote:

> I had success changing it to be
>
> SUSPEND_MODULES="button ipw3945"
>
> pm-suspend works now. But it is a little bit of a puzzle. At the same
> time , I installed the gpm RPMS from Mr Hughes's Utopia web server.
> And I think those changes are making the difference.
>
> Now, if I'm in a wifi zone and logged in, the system does suspend to
> ram and resume and the ipw3945 module is still active after suspend.
> HOWEVER, I don't understand why.  The module has some bugs still, and
> it does not load unless the force option is added to modprobe:
>
> /sbin/modprobe --force ipw3945
>
> and if pm-suspend is shutting that down, and then restarting it, I
> don't think it should work.
>
> Also, the ipw3945 module should not let itself be removed from the
> kernel because the "userspace driver" is running.  After the module is
> loaded, the user runs
>
> /sbin/ipw3945d
>
> When that program is running, watch what happens
>
> # /sbin/rmmod ipw3945
> ERROR: Module ipw3945 is in use
>
> So that makes me think that adding the ipw3945 to the SUSPEND_MODULES
> list had no effect, and I'm amazed that pm-suspend now seems to work.

You're sure the module didn't get better while you weren't looking?
That is, are you sure that your experience with it isn't more pertinent
to an older kernel, rather than the currently running one?

> I still have trouble suspending if the modular bay 2nd hard disk is in
> the machine, and I think that may trace back to the fact that it is
> using the USB subsystem, even though it shows up as an IDE device
> (same bay as CDROM snaps into).

I doubt if it's related to USB at all.  Can you expand on "have trouble
suspending" a little more?  Are there error messages, etc?

> In the ACPI scripts I have run in the past, I had special remove and
> restart provisions for the USB modules.  Why doesn't pm-suspend or
> gnome-power-manager seem to worry about those?

Because these days they seem to work.

--
  Peter