Re: [gpm] Video not restored after s3 suspend on Intel Extreme graphics 2 card

On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 10:17 +0000, John Hunt wrote:
> I'm using GPM 2.13.93.
>
> I'm using an IBM Thinkpad R50e which has an Intel Extreme Graphics 2
> video card built in. When I try to suspend the laptop with GPM or via
> the suspend option on the main gnome menu the system goes into suspend
> mode properly, and comes out properly also but my video state is not
> restored (i.e - I'm left with a blank screen).
>
> I have had suspend working properly before by using acpid and a little
> script
> (http://www.john-hunt.com/linux/2005/08/24/suspend-s3-on-ibm-thinkpad-r50e/)
> to dump and restore the graphics cards state, however I get the
> feeling
> GPM bypasses any acpid stuff as it's HAL based (I checked the
> /var/log/acpid, and GPM left nothing in there).

Yes, acpid is not required any more, and any scripts tend to upset g-p-m
and hal.

> I have tried the various kernel parameters such as acpi_sleep=s3_bios,
> but they tend to make things worse (unable to come out of suspend
> mode).
>
> I'm thinking possible solutions could be to install the latest CVS of
> GPM, or finding a way to get GPM to fire off a script upon suspend.
> However, I'm no guru of GPM or HAL/DBUS etc.. so I ask for your help!

You might want to look
at /usr/share/hal/scripts/hal-system-power-suspend which has the suspend
magic -- I'm sure you can add any needed stuff in there as it's run as
root.

The logic is as follows: g-p-m calls Suspend() on HAL. HAL calls the
hal-system-power-suspend script which does different stuff depending on
what tools you have installed or what distro you are running.

Please tell me if that doesn't fix the problem, or you need any more
help.

Thanks,