Re: [gpm] Re: ideas for a new UPS infrastructure

Richard Hughes writes:
> On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 20:52 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > How about this instead
> >
> >  1. gnome-power-manager to include functionality for discovering
> >     networked UPS devices. I don't really know how this works but
> >     I expect some auth is necessary. Hence, you really want to
> >     run this in the desktop session as asking users to edit
> >     configuration files is just wrong. If the UPS is discoverable
> >     using Zeroconf/Bonjour etc. maybe g-p-m should use Avahi
> >     to discover them and prompt the user for auth when it finds
> >     an UPS.

Discovering is not yet implemented. But NUT developer think about it.
Avahi is a good way to do it.
The rest is implemented. Users can either monitor UPS or control it. See
the nut configuration files.

But as I wrote in previous mail, it would be nice to discriminate
between "UPSes directly affecting my machine" and "random remote UPSes"

This logic should be part of powermanager. Most servers don't run GNOME,
and desktop policy is very probably simple: one local UPS or one remote
UPS directly affecting me.

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec
software developer
SuSE CR, s. r. o.                             e-mail: sbrabec suse cz
Drahobejlova 27                               tel: +420 296 542 382
190 00 Praha 9                                fax: +420 296 542 374
Czech Republic                                http://www.suse.cz/