Re: [Desktop_portables] Re: [gpm] Untangling the sleep hotkey mess

On Monday 09 January 2006 15:14, Karol Kozimor wrote:
> Thus wrote Yu Luming:
>  > >From practical point of view,  the acpi hotkey won't change for a quite
>  >
>  > long period. For example, I cannot find too much changes on acpi hotkey
>  > from Thinkpad T21 and Thinkpad T42.  And, I don't see any reason for ODM
>  > to change their well-know ACPI device PNP ID and well-know AML methods
>  > names for acpi hotkey on new platfrom, because they can just implement
>  > any platform changes in AML code.
>
>  Tell me more...

I just want to say the hot-keys on keyboard for brightness, sound
volume, display output switching won't change too much,
because user needs these buttons. And almost all laptops implement them.

For each ODM, if they implement hot-keys with dedicated ACPI devices and
dedicated AML methods. It doesn't make any sense to change
the name on new platforms for supporting same hot-keys.

>  There's already 3 or 4 major variations of method layout for ASUS laptops
>  hotkey device, subtle differences like method name changes
> notwithstanding. One of the reasons the driver's development lags so much
> is that the support code has become such a mess. I really wish their BIOS
> teams would settle on one scheme, and there was a point when I thought
> they'd done just that, but in the end it just didn't happen.

We need a hotkey spec for those well-know hot-keys now,
Then, we can look forward to a clean hotkey driver in the future.

Thanks,
Luming

--
Thanks,