Re: [Desktop_portables] Re: [gpm] Untangling the sleep hotkey mess

On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 15:47 +0800, Yu Luming wrote:
> On Monday 09 January 2006 15:14, Karol Kozimor wrote:
> > Thus wrote Yu Luming:
> >  > >From practical point of view,  the acpi hotkey won't change for a quite
> >  >
> >  > long period. For example, I cannot find too much changes on acpi hotkey
> >  > from Thinkpad T21 and Thinkpad T42.  And, I don't see any reason for ODM
> >  > to change their well-know ACPI device PNP ID and well-know AML methods
> >  > names for acpi hotkey on new platfrom, because they can just implement
> >  > any platform changes in AML code.
> >
> >  Tell me more...
>
> I just want to say the hot-keys on keyboard for brightness, sound
> volume, display output switching won't change too much,
> because user needs these buttons. And almost all laptops implement them.
>
> For each ODM, if they implement hot-keys with dedicated ACPI devices and
> dedicated AML methods. It doesn't make any sense to change
> the name on new platforms for supporting same hot-keys.
> >
> >  There's already 3 or 4 major variations of method layout for ASUS laptops
> >  hotkey device, subtle differences like method name changes
> > notwithstanding. One of the reasons the driver's development lags so much
> > is that the support code has become such a mess. I really wish their BIOS
> > teams would settle on one scheme, and there was a point when I thought
> > they'd done just that, but in the end it just didn't happen.
> >
> We need a hotkey spec for those well-know hot-keys now,
> Then, we can look forward to a clean hotkey driver in the future.

What spec would that be? Surely we *just* need a way to get the hotkeys
to userspace as early as possible? Be they KEY_BRIGHTNESSDOWN or some
random value like 0x140.
Why make this complicated, or am I missing a trick?

Thanks, Richard.