[gpm] Setting lcd brigthness

Hi,

I am trying to figure out how setting lcd brightness works. I own a
Toshiba Satellite M40X laptop with a Phoeniw bios, which works with the
omnibook kernel module.

lcd brightness can be set through /proc/omnibook/lcd (values between 0
and 7).

For the moment, I set the brightness through laptop-mode, but this
doesn't allow any user to set his own configuration.

I have tried to
modify /usr/share/hal/scripts/hal-system-lcd-set-brightness, but it
seems that gpm does not use this script. I have tried to understand
gpm-brightness.c, but without any knowledge in C, it is quite hard!

Can somebody help me on this point?

Cheers,
Julien