Re: [gpm] Panasonic brightness control

On Sun, 2006-04-30 at 23:57 +0100, J W wrote:

(adding all the pcc people I could find as cc's)

>Interface to change the brightness work
>using /proc/acpi/pcc/ac_brightness
> and /proc/acpi/pcc/dc_brightness depending upon power state. G-p-m simply
> does not offer it's brightness controls.

Because HAL does not detect the pcc panel, because it's looking
for /proc/acpi/pcc/brightness rather than the other files.

I don't know if this is a recent change to the pcc driver, but if it is,
it's a really broken way of handling the brightness because all the
other acpi brightness drivers don't try to be clever with regard to the
ac/dc state.
If it is funky hardware that needs two distinct values then this would
need pretty drastic changes to the laptop_panel stuff in HAL, unless
there's a way to just "set the brightness" regardless if we are on ac or
on dc.

> Looking in hal-device-manger the PCC Extra DRiver's capabilties are input,
> input.keyboard and button. Should there be something else in here mentioning
> lcd brightness capabilities?

Yes, if hal detects a screen, you get an object with the capability
laptop_panel, with get and set methods that g-p-m can use.

Without