Re: [gpm] If you want bleeding edge...

On Tue, 2006-04-11 at 10:05 -0700, Paul Ionescu wrote:

cc'ing the list, hope you don't mind.

> Richard Hughes <hughsient gmail com> wrote:
>         > I updated g-p-m and deps from your utopia repo, and it just
>         worked on my
>         > IBM Thinkpad + FC5.
>         > The new graphs are cool.
>
>         Sweet, thanks. What improvements do you think the graphs need?
>         I'm not
>         sure if the repo version has the legends implemented -- you
>         might want
>         to try cvs for some real lovin'.
> Well, after several days of graphing, the canvas is too small (too
> compressed).
> I don't want to know how it will look like after several weeks
> (without rebooting).

Very squished.

> So, I was thinking that you may want to limit the graphs to last 24
> hours or something.

To be honest, this never affects me as it only ever runs for a few hours
in between "make"'s :-) -- It's a good idea tho -- can you bugzilla it
please.

> I am not sure about this, but I think that something is needed, unless
> I am missing something. Another option I am thinking about is to have
> a button to <Reset/startover the graphs>. I will think of other
> options too, but this is it for now.

Yes, agreed, can you add to bugzilla pls.

> Other ideas:
> When you hoover over a bubble, you can have a Bubble/Tip/Hint that
> shows the event, the cause and the time of occuring.

There is already that infrastructure in place -- "Suspend occurred
because computer idle for 15 minutes" so adding that should be easy.

> You can select a portion of graph to zoom in.

Less easy, I'll have to think on this.

> You can have different line colors on AC/Battery, ie red on Battery,
> green on AC.

Seems fair enough, what do you others think?

> Batteries from IBM Thinkpads have some extra attributes that can be
> shown in the device info, like: Manufacturing date, First use date,
> and others.
> Is this info supposed to be collected by HAL via a hald-addon, or can
> you get it directly form /sysfs ?

Unknown to me. This needs to be added to HAL. Can you try doing:

for i in /proc/acpi/battery/*/*; do echo $i; cat $i; done

-- thanks.

> Now, some bugs that I might encounter so far, and I don't really know
> for sure if is gpm or hal or something else:
> - sometime the dots are dissapearing from the graps, usualy when new
> dots appear.

I'm working on that.

> - sometime after a dot is placed, the graph is not updated anymore.

I'm working on that too.

> - when I pull out the AC adapter, the computer goes to S3 suspend and
> I get this message in the logs:
> "gnome-power-manager: Suspending computer because the lid has been
> closed, and the ac adapter removed"

Known bug, where hal gets confused about that state of the lid. There's
loads of info in bugzilla.

> - in preferences, at the display/computer sleep, there is a mismatch
> in the shown slider time and the real values in the registry: if I
> slide to the left at the minimum value, the slider shows 11 minutes,
> but the gconf-editor shows 60 secs, meaning  1 minute, and I tend to
> believe this value.

The slider is that value of time of the gnome-screensaver idle time
*plus* the extra delay that g-p-m waits. In gconf, it only saves the
extra time, as the value of the idle timeout can change.

> P.S. What is the difference between idle time and inactive ? I am
> asking because I don't know when  "Dim the laptop panel when idle"  is
> used.

When gnome-screensaver declares the session idle, the lcd dims and the
count-down starts for the inactive action. This needs to be made more
clear in the yelp file.

Thanks for the tips,