Transferring settings to a new device

Hello,

I've had the opportunity of replacing my aging Treo 680 with a new one,
physically identical (though in better shape).

I'd like to transfer, if possible, everything from the old one to the
new one. What are my best options:

1) When pairing the new device, should I (could I) choose a different ID
than the old one? (Syncing the old one won't be necessary afterward.)

2) After the pairing is done, is it correct / possible to restore a
backup of the old device to the new one? My goal is to restore even the
apps. this way, and I don't think it would be enough to sync for that.

I do realize that some settings will need to be manually restored, but
I'd like to automate the process as much as possible.

TIA for advice - best regards,
--
Daniel CLEMENT