memofile duplicates and missing

I have the MemoFile Conduit set to sync.
I'm seeing some strange behavior with the memofile files.   On the host
side there are a bunch of duplicated files w/ .1, .2, etc suffixes.
Also after a recent sync I noticed that some of the files had
disappeared on the PDA side.  I deleted all of the extra files and
'touched' all of the files on the host side and did another sync.  I
successfully got the files synced up so they were back on the PDA side
again, but some (not all) of the *.[1-9] files came back!  On the PDA
side now I have duplicates.  In the past I've seen duplicates pop up now
and then.