Re: cannot even log in with IIIc

On Mon, 2007-09-17 at 13:14 -0700, Rusty Carruth wrote:
> Ok, so I've got a Palm IIIc (color) that worked some years ago, with
> much older software.
>
> I had upgraded some time back, and my sync quit working.

Hi Rusty,

Here's a checklist:

0. What version of pilot-link and gnome-pilot do you have?
1. Can you sync using Windows with your IIIc and the same cables?
   We need to rule out problems with your cables first.
2. Try getting 'pilot-xfer -p /dev/whatever -l' working first.
   This is the basic test of linux connectivity.  Without this,
   jpilot/kpilot/gnome-pilot are not going to work.  Make sure
   you kill any gpilotd/gpilot-applet processes before trying
   pilot-xfer.
3. First try with your DB9 cable.  Run pilot-xfer -p /dev/ttyS0 -l,
   if you're sure you're connected to ttyS0.  What do you get?
   You can try turning on pilot-link debugging by setting the
   environment variables:
       env PILOT_DEBUG="DEV SLP CMP PADP NET SOCK" \
           PILOT_DEBUG_LEVEL="DEBUG" pilot-xfer -p /dev/ttyS0 -l
4. As regards USB, connect USB and attempt a sync.  If you don't
   see any palm-related messages with a 'dmesg' command, you
   are in trouble.  I can't see why you wouldn't unless you have
   a faulty USB cable or hub.  Maybe a dead hub port?

That should get you started, anyway.

Matt