palm usb_device doesn't seem to disconnect

Dear all,

There have been reports that gnome-pilot can only sync once after each
reboot.  Recently a user seems to have tracked this down to HAL
behaviour, in which the 'device_added' event only fires once, even if
the palmos device is physically unplugged from the host.

This doesn't sound right to me.  I wonder if this behaviour is a known
regression in HAL, or is it intended for some reason I'm not fathoming?
Apologies if this is a FAQ - I didn't spot it after a quick scan through
the list archives for the last couple of months.

System info from the reporter:
hal: 0.5.9.1
hal-info: 0.20070831
kernel: 2.6.22-ARCH
udev: 115

The gnome-pilot-list thread is here:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-pilot-list/2007-October/msg00022.html

Thanks,

Matt Davey
(gnome-pilot maintainer)

Matt Davey		I do not know myself, and God forbid
mcdavey mrao cam ac uk 	   that I should.  -- Johann von Goethe