Re: gnome-pilot-2.0.14pre6 released

On Wed, 2006-08-30 at 16:26 +0200, Frederic Crozat wrote:
> I'm currently upgrading Mandriva cooker to pilot-link 0.12.0 +
> gnome-pilot 2.0.14pre6 (and so on).
>
> When pilot-link is build with libusb support (as I did on cooker), I
> think gnome-pilot should try to migrate user configuration
> from /dev/tty* to usb: automatically, otherwise, people will not
> understand they need to configure something (which is not obvious at all
> btw). It might be even better to hide the Device combobox when usb is
> selected, with libusb support enabled.

I've made the following change to CVS, and will probably be tagging
2.0.14 within the next couple of days:

If there is a failure to bind, or to retrieve system info from the
device, gpilotd will attempt to read /proc/modules.  If it finds that
the visor module is loaded and the device name is 'usb:', or vice versa
(device name != 'usb:' and visor module is not loaded), then gpilotd
will raise a warning dialog, and a console log message, to indicate that
there may be a config mismatch between 'new style' libusb syncing and
'old style' usbserial syncing.

I've made the messages as intelligible as possible, but people will have
to manually change their device configuration to migrate to libusb sync.

Hope that is clear enough for your users, Frederic.

The messages read as follows:

"Failed to connect using device `%s', on port `%s'.
 Check your configuration, as you requested
 new-style libusb `usb:' syncing, but have the
 old-style `visor' kernel module loaded.
 You may need to select a `ttyUSB...' device."

"Failed to connect using device `%s', on port `%s'.
 Check your configuration, as you requested
 old-style usbserial `ttyUSB' syncing, but do not have the
 usbserial `visor' kernel module loaded.
 You may need to select a `usb:' device."

Matt

Matt Davey        Good judgment comes from bad experience, and most of that
mcdavey mrao cam ac uk 	     comes from bad judgment.