gnome-pilot doesn't sync my palm device

OK, first up, sorry that there's not much info in that header, but
that's more or less all I have. I installed Suse Linux 10.1 and am
trying to sync my palm device (actually a fairly aged Sony Clie) with
Evolution.

I have added the applet to the toolbar but when I hit sync on the
device, it appears to crash the applet. I've tried running
/opt/gnome/lib/gnome-pilot/gpilotd in isolation, and it notices that
the /dev/pilot device pops into existence (this is USB) but then does
nothing. If I have a non-zero timeout, it eventually times out.
Sometimes, but not often, the palm device dies with a message "Fatal
Exception" and has to be reset from the paperclip hole.

So, that's about all I know about the gnome-pilot failure. Perhaps
there are other diagnostics I could run?

Oh, if I run pilot-xfer, that works... It lists the databases, it
copies them, just works fine. However, that copies pdb files, and those
aren't readable to Evolution, so it doesn't really help beyond proving
the hardware and basic OS configuration.

Any suggestions?

TIA
Simon

"You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions." ? Naguib Mahfouz