Re: GPILOTD and EVOLUTION Crash!

> Shipping with the pre-release pilot-link is definitely what I'd call
> bleeding edge!  The pilot-link API changes required shipping with
> patches to gnome-pilot and the evolution conduits.  I don't know
> what level of testing was carried out, but my first suspicion is
> that there's something amiss here.

	Especially since there was an ugly buglet we let slip through
in parsing pack/unpack with AppInfo data, causing fun truncation of
records.

	...also, we're up to -pre4 now, with -pre5 only days away.

	There's a reason why these have -preX on them, and that was
specifically so package authors (J-Pilot, KPilot, gnome-pilot) could
begin testing/porting/integrating their code with the new API in
0.12.x. I've specifically stated that these pre-releases should NEVER
go in production releases of distributions.

	Apparently they didn't listen. C'est la vie.

> I also noticed that they've _disabled_ the backup conduit,
> presumably to avoid problems with the >64k resource bugs, which I
> believe have been fixed in the recent pre-release 0.12.0 pilot link
> versions.

	It's been fixed when we cut over to 0.12.0-pre0 from 0.11.8,
and has been working better and better with each new release. I
haven't seen a crash (including backing up Flash and ROM) in a long
long time now.

David A. Desrosiers
desrod gnu-designs com
http://gnu-designs.com