Gnome Pilot Causing USB Drive problems (version 2.0.10)

I'm running Fedora Core 2, but I've been having this problem at least
since Fedora Core 1. First, of all I have a Sony Clie that takes an act
of God to hotsync using gpilotd. I've found that I can general
accomplish the task if I stop gpilotd, start the hotsync from the clie,
then restart gpilotd. May take a couple of times to get it to sync...

However two days ago I discovered that gpilotd is causing problems with
my usb drives. I can easy mount and use any usbdrive that is 128 Mbytes
or less with gpilotd running. If gpilotd is running and I try to mount a
256 Mbyte usbdrive the story is different. It tries multiple times to
mount and the ultimately times out with an error. In the rare occasion
that it will mount the device is mounted read only.

If I stop or pause gpilotd and then try to use a 256 Mbyte usbdrive it
will work as flawlessly as the 128 Mbyte one. Now for the record this
behavior is 100% reproducible and has been demonstrated with both a
SanDisk Minicruiser and a Lexar Jumpdrive, both are 256 Mbytes in size.

There is a serious problem with gpilotd that would allow this
interaction to occur. First, the daemon doesn't allow easy or flawless
hotsyncing for my Clie and now I find that it gets in the way of normal
usbdrive operation....

Please look into this and see where the problem might exist.

--
Sam Williams                                             samurai acm org
+"It is easy to be blinded to the essential uselessness of computers   +