Re: Can I add the charset parameter to the pilot device configuration?

> I'm not convinced your diagnosis points to the root cause of the crash.
> What version of glib2 are you using?

Thank you for your advice. The crashes disappeared after I started to
use the proper encoding, but this is probably just a coincidence. I will
update libraries anyway.

Maybe, I confused my posting by describing the crash. Even without
crashes it is necessary to set up the charset correctly.

My main problem is that:

1) It is difficult to do this by recompiling.

2) It is even more difficult for an ordinary user to figure out how to
do this.

> As for your charset proposals, you should discuss any proposed changes
> to pilot-link on the pilot-link-dev mailing list.

I started from the gnome-pilot list because the changes to the
pilot-link are trivial and absolutely harmless. (the code is already
there, I will just add a function which sets the charset. If you do not
call the function, it works as always.)

On the other hand, the changes to gnome-pilot are much more complicated.
I have to add an entry to the configuration file and change the user
interface.

> Ideally the charset
> encoding is something that should be picked up from the palm device
> directly.

Great idea. But I am not sure this can be always done. The default value
in the applet should not be "CP1252" but "Pick up from the device".

>  Given that this isn't already done, I'd guess the info isn't
> readily accessible, or that no one has been bothered enough.  I expect
> the people on pilot-link-dev might be able to point you to that
> information.
>
> There is a patch floating around, dated 2002, that aimed to pick up a
> PILOTCHARSET environment variable and use it in pilot-link's
> convert_ToPilotChar.  It was never incorporated into pilot-link, so
> maybe David Desrosiers will comment.

This is very easy to do. But:

1) The user must read in docs that such a variable exists. Not all users
like to set shell variables.

2) If the setting is available in the control applet, the user will
learn about it easily.

3) IMHO, charset is a pilot device setting, not a user setting. For
example, I can have two pilots, an old one with CP1250 and a new one
with UTF. Then I will have to change the variable manually when I switch
the devices.

Ladislav Sladecek