Re: Initial sync pickup

On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 10:56, Matt Davey wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-05-25 at 22:05, Lars Weissflog wrote:
> > Hi Nigel, hi all,
> >
> > On Tue, 2004-05-25 at 16:28, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm running pilot-link 0.11.8 & gnome-pilot 2.0.10 (both of these are
> > > stock Fedora FC2 packages) with a Tungsten C in a USB cradle.
> > >
> > > When I hit the palm cradle sync button gnome-pilot often fails to notice
> > > the sync  [....]
> > Had (have?) exactly the same prob with a Sony Clie SJ30 on
> [...]
> > Hardware is Omnibook XE3 /i440zx Chipset, using usb-uhci drivers.
> Lars,
>
> The hardware dependence of your problem sure makes it hard for
> anyone else to set about tracking it down, but naively it seems to
> me that if jpilot can be so reliable then the resolution of your
> problem must surely lie in the gnome-pilot code.  Did you ever poke
> around in the gnome-pilot source?
>
> Matt
Hi Matt & all,

as Nigel has the very same problem with a Tungsten C and Philip  with
another type of Clie, I still think it is _not_ entirely hardware
related; at least _not_ limited to my combination.

Neither of the two named their chipsets nor did they give explicit
details on all involved software versions. So I just threw in all that I
ever found. Guess it might at least give them some idea what they might
be up against. Philip probably found my thread in the gnome-pilot list
archives. In there you can see that from the day I switched over to
linux and got the shiny Clie, I was in more or less permanent contact
with the list. In the end - since no one could point out anything useful
- I simply gave up.

For your question: No, I didn't fiddle with the code, I wouldn't have
understood anything. I would of course have tried _everything_ to track
the bug, but regretfully, no hints were available what to investigate.
So: If you (or anyone else) has good suggestions _what_ to try next -
count me in. You have my spare time and all my hardware. I hope together
(being at least three with an apparently similar if not identical
problem) we can take another approach to get this sorted out.

Best regards,
Lars

--
LarsWeissflog