Re: gInitial sync pickup

> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 15:28:07 +0100
> From: Nigel Metheringham <Nigel Metheringham dev intechnology co uk>
> Subject: Initial sync pickup
> To: "The PalmOS <tm> integration package" <gnome-pilot-list gnome org>
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm running pilot-link 0.11.8 & gnome-pilot 2.0.10 (both of these are
> stock Fedora FC2 packages) with a Tungsten C in a USB cradle.
>
> When I hit the palm cradle sync button gnome-pilot often fails to notice
> the sync (although the normal kernel hotplug magic is happening).  It
> can take as many as a dozen attempts to make gnome-pilot notice the palm
> (cancelling and retrying each time).
>
> Interestingly if I strace gpilotd then the sync is noticed every time,
> leading me to suspect a race condition in the code.
>
> I also saw this with my previous install (just done a
> wipe-everything-upgrade) which was RH9/XD2 also with a 2.6.x kernel.  I
> was rather hoping that this upgrade would make things work better :-)
>
> Is this affecting other people?
> Any pointers as to where to go digging?
>
> 	Nigel.

Hi Nigel,

I just installed Fedora Core 2. After making a /dev/pilot link (the only
thing where you need a shell terminal for) it synchronised okay for me
with a Tungsten E. I think the Tungsten C has a faster processor so it
might be related to timing issues.

Unfortunately, the 'backup' conduit still crashes after some time (just
like before in Fedora Core 1). It's unfortunate that not much work is
put in the gnome-conduits development anymore.

Roalt